ELP Parent Meetings
There is one more ELP Parent Meeting for grades 4-8. This includes information for Jr. High testing. The next meeting is Thursday, October 25 from 6:00 to 7:30 PM at the Salt Lake School District Office (400 E 100 S). Students in grade 4-8 must be registered for testing by November 1. Click HERE for more information.
The Community Builders Cool-oquium was wonderful. Thank you to Emily Hardy, Missy Dawson, Temma Martin, Jose Lozano, and James Erb for speaking. The kids were very excited to hear from you!
The next session is People and Places. If you have experience living abroad, speaking a foreign language, with biomes and environments, or geography and maps, please consider signing up. You can review the schedule and sign up HERE. If you have questions about Cool-oquium (what it is, how it works, or what is required) please email Anne Harges (email@example.com) or email the Whittier ELP box (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The ELP directory has been completed. If you would like a copy of the directory for your child’s class, please email the Whittier ELP box (email@example.com) with the grade you are requesting and your student’s name.
In order to make sure every student has support to enter a science fair project, Ms. Aikens will be holding STEM Sessions after school. These sessions are open to any child in the school. We want to make sure every child has the opportunity to submit a great project. If you are interested in helping, please view dates and times and sign up HERE.
ELP Fund Drive
We are right in the middle of our ELP Fund Drive. We hope to raise $10,000 this year, which will allow us to fund most of the wish list items from the ELP teachers, school-wide competitions, and ELP activities.
Donations are collected by the Salt Lake Education Foundation (SLEF), a 501(c)(3) entity. Use this Whittier link and be sure to choose ELP under the designation drop down. Choosing ELP in the designation will ensure funds come to ELP classrooms.
Matching charitable donations may be available through your employer. Please contact your employer for details. A receipt will be provided by SLEF for donations.
The ELP Steering Committee General Parent Meeting is this week, Thursday 30 August from 5:30 to 6:30 PM in the Whittier library. We will be reviewing ELP Steering Committee business, district and school business, and upcoming events. We would love to have all parents attend!
Save the Date
Please save the date for the Fall Super Hero Social on Saturday, 8 September at Lindsey Gardens (9th Avenue and M Street) from 3 to 5 PM. We would love to see all our ELP students attend.
This is a recap of the ELP Steering Committee Planning Meeting.
This meeting was held at Liberty Park on 8/2/18.
- Sign In
- School Registration help
- The steering committee needs help during registration. This includes providing info sheets, bus forms, and verifying contact information.
- Click HERE to sign up.
- ELP Steering Committee Openings
- We still have openings on the Steering Committee.
- We need a chair elect for this year. Being chair elect would provide you a whole school year to “learn the ropes” and get ready to be chair in 2019/20.
- We also need a chair-elect for Geography Bee. Being chair elect would allow you time this year to learn from the current chair.
- We needed a Battle of the Books chair. This position was taken by Katie Warner.
- We needed an Open House chair. This position was taken by Missy Dawson.
- If you are interested in Chair Elect or Geography Bee Chair Elect, please reach out. If you can’t volunteer for a chair position, please keep an eye out for other opportunities.
- The fundraiser will be an online Fund Drive. Cash and Checks will be accepted in the office.
- The Fund Drive is super-hero themed and all teachers have been given an “alter-ego”.
- We reviewed the communication plan for the Fund Drive.
- Fall Social
- The Fund Drive will end with a Fall Social. This casual party will simply celebrate funds raised.
- Each grade is responsible for an activity station. Room Parents will be reaching out for help with various activities.
- We also need help manning tables for sno cones, popcorn, drinks, and donation collection.
- Please click HERE to sign up to volunteer or to confirm your plans for an activity station.
- Scheduled Events
- Back to School Night- August 16
- Fundraiser- August 20 to September 7
- ELP Steering Committee General Parent Meeting- August 30
- Fall Social- September 8
- Cool-oquium- October 12
- Faculty Updates
- Mrs. Watkins (5th grade) has retired.
- Mrs. Bigler (formerly 3rd grade) has moved to teach 5th grade.
- Interviews were conducted for a new 3rd grade teacher.
- We are greatly appreciative to Dr. Proffit (Principal) for including a parent representative in the interview process.
- Due to non-disclosure agreements, we are unable to share information about the hiring process at this time. However, we had several strong applicants, and we look forward to announcing our new teacher soon.
Hello ELP Parents!
It’s time again to start thinking about Back to School and planning for the new school year.
The first ELP Steering Committee meeting will be held this week on Thursday August 2 at 5:30 PM. This meeting will be held at the Northwest corner of Liberty Park near the Rotary Park Playground.
On the agenda for the meeting:
- Help needed for school registration
- Help needed for ELP Steering Committee
- Faculty updates
- Planning for the upcoming fundraiser
- Fall party planning- specifically what is needed from Room Parents
- Additional events that need parent support
If you are unable to make the meeting, but would like the updates, please check back on August 6 for a summary.
I look forward to working with you this year! Thank you in advance.
ELP Steering Committee Chair
My name is Crystal Black and I am the 2018-2019 ELP Steering Committee Chair. I am excited to work with parents, our teachers, and our administration to make Whittier ELP the best program it can be. I look forward to getting to know your families!
A little about me: I have one child and he will be in 3rd grade this coming school year. I work full-time as an instructional designer for a hotel company. I live in Rose Park, and we are never ready in time to catch the bus. 🙂 But I am always in email, so if you ever have questions please feel free to reach out.
There are a few changes for the upcoming school year. ELP Steering Committee meetings will be held a couple times this year, instead of every month. Anyone can join the Steering Committee and it’s a great way to get to know other families, learn more about our fantastic program and community, and have a voice in the future of the program. Without involvement of parents in the ELP Steering Committee, we will be unable to continue representing the needs of ELP Students at Whittier.
We are continuing Cool-oquium– our lecture series which highlights how work in elementary school lays the foundation for future learning and expertise. Please consider a 15 minute talk. Dates, topics, and signup can be found HERE. If you’re not sure how what you’re passionate about fits into our topic list, please talk to Anne or Crystal and we will find a spot for you!
For the 2018-19 school year our fall fundraiser will be an online donation campaign. All the campaign materials will be designed over the summer and the campaign will begin right when school starts. The campaign will be followed by a Super Hero fall social. Details are still being worked on, but we do need parental support and involvement to make this a success.
Look for more information about all of these items at registration and please consider ways to get involved in the upcoming school year.
You can always connect with our community on Facebook at Whittier Elementary ELP Families. Updates will be posted here over the summer as well. If you have any additional questions for any ELP Steering Committee member, please feel free to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org and we will direct your email appropriately. I look forward to this coming school year!
ELP Steering Committee Chairs:
- Chair: Crystal Black
- Chair Elect: Open Position- this would provide you a whole year to “learn the ropes” at Whittier.
- Chairs Emeritus: Anne Harges
- Secretary: Erin Call
- Treasurer: Brandi Curtis
- Principal: Greg Proffit
- Teacher Representative: Tonya Aikens
Event and Program Chairs:
- District Liaison: Jan Nystrom
- Cool-oquium Coordinator: Anne Harges
- Fundraiser Chair: Open Position
- Fall Social Chair: Brittany Olsen
- Geography Competition Chair: Monika de St. Germain Open Position for assistance 2018/19, chair 2019/20
- Spelling Competition Chair: Jackie Halle
- Math Competition Chair: Kristi Baker
- Battle of the Books Chair: Open Position
- Chess Club Chair: Jianlin Shi
- New Student/Open House Chair: Open Position
- Teacher Appreciation Chair: Jake Stucki
- Kindergarten- Ms. Haslam: Missy Dawson
- 1- Mrs. Flowers: Jen Scott and Kate Corrigan
- 2- Mrs. Dalton: Libby Grigg and Sooz DeYoung
- 3- Mrs. Bigler: Shelli Campbell and Temma Martin
- 4- Ms. Aikens: Brandi Curtis and Anne Harges
- 5- Mrs. Watkins: Katie Thomas and Sue Sandwick
- 6- Mrs. Nemelka: Cynthia Newman and Anne Harges
Please join us tonight for the ELP Spring Social.
The annual Spring Social will be Tonight, May 21 from 5-7 PM. This will be held at Sunnyside Park (1735 E Sunnyside Ave). Please come and welcome new families. Bring a picnic dinner for your family, the ELP Steering Committee will provide dessert.
ELP Open House
The ELP Open House is being held today. We use this as an opportunity to welcome new families, answer questions, and highlight all Whittier has to offer. If you see tours in the halls please say hello!
Save the date for the annual ELP Spring Social.
The annual Spring Social will be Monday, May 21 from 5-7 PM. This will be held at Sunnyside Park (1735 E Sunnyside Ave). Join us to welcome new families and catch up with friends. Bring a picnic dinner for your family, the ELP Steering Committee will provide dessert.
ELP Open House
New families have been assigned to Whittier for the 2018-2019 school year. The ELP Open House is when these new families can tour the school (again or for the first time) to find out what Whittier is all about.
We need help staffing the ELP Open House from 8:30 to 11:30 AM on May 21. Please consider signing up for a time. We use this as an opportunity to welcome new families, answer questions, and highlight all Whittier has to offer.
Click HERE to sign up.